Thursday, July 4, 2013

Review :: Lime Crime Battle of the Lipsticks -- Babette vs. Coquette

I am a nude lip lover. If there is one color lipstick I will always reach for whenever I don't have time or want to think about my makeup for the day is nude. People tend to think about nude lips as the most boring possibility when it comes to makeup. So,  I took on the challenge and I am here to prove you wrong. Yes, I said it. For this, I will feature a couple of Opaque Lipsticks by Lime Crime: the best-seller, Coquette (pale, peachy-nude), and its pinker cousin, Babette (pastel coral), due to be released to the public on July 15, 2013. I was one of the lucky few able to purchase this beauty during the soft release at PHAMExpo this past weekend. Let me tell you, I was excited yet hesitant about this lipstick because I have several nudes. I really wanted to check out what the Babette-hype was about. I kept thinking about doing some comparisons between nude lipsticks and Lime Crime definitely had something different I had never seen before. Babette was the answer to my nude lipstick lovin' prayers.

As usual, Lime Crime brought to the makeup scene something the public not only needed but really wanted. While talking to Katie Mitchell, visual marketing coordinator for Lime Crime & Doe Deere's right hand man unicorn-loving princess, she explained to Kat and I that people kept asking for a nude with more pink in it. The request came, especially, from clients with really light complexions. Coquette tends to wash out lighter skin tones and requires a lip liner for that kind of skin color. The Lime Crime crew got to work and, voilĂ , Babette was created.

Babette packaging.


The packaging continues to be as cute as ever. It still has the same sturdy quality and beautiful magenta box that showcases the super cute holographic unicorn the brand is known for. Upon opening the box and putting both lipsticks side to side, you can see Babette has more of pink in the formula than Coquette.


Side by side comparison of Babette & Coquette
right out of the box.

As I swatched both lipsticks on my arm, I noticed not only that Babette has more pink in it but Coquette has a slight mauve background to it. The difference in color while swatching was barely noticeable, but it is definitely there. As far as the consistency, I would consider these lipsticks a Satin Finish - the formula is opaque, very pigmented, creamy, soft, and is very comfortable to wear. The scent in these lipsticks is reminiscent of the MAC ones, in my opinion.  I must say, I am rather impressed! -- these Lime Crime Opaque Lipsticks are definitely worth every penny.

Babette (L) & Coquette (R). No flash. Natural light.

Babette (L) & Coquette (R). With flash.

Then I thought, I should make a comparison between all the nude lipsticks I already own. Since the range of nudes I have goes from barely there to having a tinge of color, I figured, I needed to see if there really was any difference between what I already have to what I had just purchased. *cross your fingers* Let's take a look...

The two pictures below are comparisons between both Lime Crime's nudes and the other nude lipsticks I already own. From Left (L) to Right (R): Lime Crime Opaque Lipstick in "Babette", Lime Crime Opaque Lipstick in "Coquette", Revlon Matte Lipstick in "Nude Attitude", MAC Satin Lipstick in "Myth", NYX Extra Creamy Round Lipstick in "Orange Soda", and Rimmel London's Moisture Renew Lipstick in "Nude Delight".

No flash. Natural light.

Comparison. With flash.


As you can see, both Babette and Coquette stand on the 'pinker' side of the spectrum and there is nothing quite like them to what I already own. I was glad to see that I was not just getting yet another nude that was the same or even similar, but adding to the collection I have! *big grin*


But, I had to take it one step further. I decided that doing a comparison on the arm was just not enough, so I went to try it on my lips. I took every single lipstick to see how they would stack in comparison to each other. No lip liner was applied with any of the lipsticks. I also decided to not apply any makeup whatsoever to see how the pure color of the lipsticks made my skin tone change while wearing it. It was a very interesting experiment, I must say. None of the pictures below have been retouched and they were taken in natural light. The sunlight did change a little as I took the pictures, but in the end, you can still see the differences between all lipsticks used. Let's check it out...


Bare lips. No lipstick.


Lime Crime's Opaque Lipstick in "Babette"
(The sun did come out a bit for this one, but it still did
make my skin seem lighter.)
Lime Crime's Opaque Lipstick in "Coquette"
Revlon Matte Lipstick in "Nude Attitude"
MAC's Satin Lipstick in "Myth"
NYX's Extra Creamy Round Lipstick in "Orange Soda"
Rimmel London's Moisture Renew Lipstick in "Nude Delight"

 
Since none of the lipsticks I own are even close to similar to the Lime Crime ones, I thought maybe I could create a drugstore dupe with the lipsticks I already own. So, I decided to mix Revlon Matte Lipsticks in Nude Attitude and Mauve It Over (not pictured) and see if the combination of the two could create something similar to Lime Crime's. I got close, but not quite. As you can see from the picture below, the Lime Crime lipsticks (L) and the drugstore dupe (R) are a bit similar, but the dupe still has too much of a purple undertone to it. You would still have to mix two colors to somewhat achieve what Lime Crime has already created in their oh-so-yummy formula. I'm sorry but...ain't nobody got time for that!
 
No Flash. Natural Light.
With Flash
 
I know what people are going to ask - Do I need to buy BOTH lipsticks? Well, it depends. If you are buying for yourself and have a light complexion, I say get Babette. If you are slightly darker, get Coquette. If you are a makeup artist or a complete makeup freak like me, get both. Both, Babette & Coquette, bring something different to the table and, even though, they are both nudes, they do stand on their own. They are similar yet different, like cousins!
 
My last thoughts: Although, I was slightly skeptical in the beginning about Lime Crime's two nudes (because I already have quite a few), I have realized my wrong ways and have switched to the Dark Unicorn Side. The colors are unique, the quality is outstanding, and Lime Crime definitely brings something new to the table. I am very happy with my purchase and plan on making more. You go, Lime Crime!! ♥
 
Follow my blog with Bloglovin'


2 comments:

  1. Awesome, so glad to finally see some Babette swatches. Loving the look of it, thinking of buying it as my first Lime Crime lipsitck! :) Thankies, good review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome. Glad you enjoyed the post...and enjoy Babette when you buy it! It's a great lipstick :)

      Delete